Independent member for Warringah, Zali Steggall OAM MP, former Chief Scientist of Australia, Professor Penny Sackett and Director of The Australia Institute’s Climate & Energy Program, Richie Merzian, discuss why Australia needs a Climate Act.
Zali Steggall OAM MP introduced her Climate Change (National Framework for Adaptation and Mitigation) Bill 2020 to Federal Parliament the morning of Monday 9th November 2020. The Bill will provide a much needed long term target and framework for climate action now. We will feature footage of the actual introduction of the bill being presented into Parliament that morning.
This national framework will provide:
- An Independent Climate Change Commission to oversee the transition
- An economy-wide net-zero target by 2050
- Economy-wide emissions budgets and national plans for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- A National Climate Risk Assessment and plans for adapting to changing climate
- Transparent monitoring, reporting on progress, and plans
Part of the Australia Institute’s webinar series.
(ended on )